Friday, January 17, 2014

Living a Happier Life Through the Gospel of Jesus Christ

Warning!!! This is long one but a good one! Don't miss out!

Yes, it's me again! I'm simply full of inspiration and ideas for my new blog. I'm sure that it will slow down soon enough, but for now, I want to get it all down before it leaves my head. 

I came across this quote today by one of my favourite apostles, Elder Ballard!


Isn't this a wonderful quote? How true it is! My life is a sure witness that living the standards of the gospel of Jesus Christ can strengthen our homes and families! Here's my story of how I discovered this to be true!

When I was a young girl, around 12 years old, I decided to go live with my father (my parents divorced when I was only 3) and his girlfriend. I had been struggling to keep up with the standards of the gospel and, as an older sibling of 4 younger sisters (now 5), there was a great deal of pressure on me to be a good example. I lacked encouragement and love in my life and was struggling with my new found discovery that, on top of all of my current struggles, I was also dealing with a mental illness...something of which most people at this time, knew very little about. It was all too much to handle and I needed an escape.

My fathers life was much different, not being active in the gospel, and he assured me that the grass would be greener on the other side (don't they always say that?!). After many screaming matches with my mother and physical fights with my step-father, I finally made the decision and called my father. A fresh start at, what I thought would be, a less disciplined and free lifestyle. Although it wasn't nearly what I had hoped for (it never is for a child), I had soon adopted this new style of living into my life, and woowwwwweeeee, what a worldly one it was. 

For years I went on living this way, feeling confused, lost and mostly alone. Without God in my life, where was I headed? The older I got, the harder it became to manage. By the time I was 15 years old, I had become expelled from high school, attempted suicide twice and because nobody in my family could understand me, I was on my own. I got a full-time job at a video store and, shortly after, was offered a place to stay with my manager at the store. Not long after, she ended up getting a promotion at another store and moved away. I took over the lease on the apartment (can you image anyone signing a lease with a 15 year old? Was this even legal? Probably not!) and thus began my challenging life as a 15 year old employed renter. By 17, I was living in an abusive relationship and was expecting a baby. Sad, I know! At 20, I packed up Austin and myself and headed to live with my father, once again, in order to free us from the abuse. This is where my mental illness really took its toll. Mixed with drugs and alcohol, my life quickly spiralled out of control. With Austin by my side (this is very hard for me to admit) I bounced around from man to man and then back to the abuser that I had freed myself from once before. I wanted to try again to give Austin the life that he deserved. A life that I never had, with both parents in the home. Before long, that came to another screeching halt, because this time, I had landed myself in jail and decided that enough was enough. 

Stay with me everyone! I know that this is a lot of information to process (trust me! I know! I lived it!) especially for those of you that haven't known me very long, but the good part is coming! 

Sleeping on couches at a full house at my moms, I came home late from work one Saturday night (it was actually 4 o'clock in the morning...I worked at a very busy pub!). I knew that I needed help from someone that I lost my relationship with many, many years ago...my Heavenly Father. I remember (like it was yesterday!) kneeling down beside little Austin on the couch and wondering where to start. Before the words even left my mouth, I began to sob, uncontrollably. He was there and He was ready to listen, just like that! I begged for His forgiveness (hardly remembering how to even pray) and pleaded that He offer me some direction for my life. I thanked Him for the strength that He had blessed me with through my many trials and ended my prayer. Exhausted and emotional, I went to bed. 7 o'clock came very quickly and the house was alive with most of my family getting ready for church. Something inside of me was telling me to get up and go with them. I don't even remember feeling tired, despite the lack of sleep that I had gotten the night before. I felt determined! My whole family was in shock when I told them that I was going to join them at church that morning. Up until this point, everytime that I had entered the church, I had always felt ashamed and uncomfortable, as if everyone was judging me. This time, as I walked into Gods house, a sense of belonging came over me, as if I knew that this was where I belonged. I felt home! 

Many months meeting with the missionaries, taking the discussions, attending the investigators class, lots and LOTS of repenting, and renewing my baptismal covenant (that I had made so many years ago) by taking the sacrament each week, led to a very quick recovery in my life. I got a new job, found an apartment for Austin and I and was on to a new and healthy lifestyle. It wasn't long before a couple of very cute RM's (returned missionaries) started asking me out! ;) 

I began looking for someone to share my life with, as hard as I felt that was going to be. Who would want to be with someone who had a past as wild and dark as mine?! But, Heavenly Father had a hand in all of it and it wasn't long before I was blessed with a very humble man, who accepted my trials and experiences as growth in making me who I am today! Andrew and I, (with a very excited Austin waiting patiently outside) were sealed in the Toronto, Ontario Temple, on February 23rd, 2008, not only for time in this life, but for time and all eternity! Although Austin wasn't able to be sealed to us (his father couldn't stomach that one and I don't blame him) and that was a hard cross to carry, we know that one day we will be an eternal family. 

Since then, we have been blessed with two beautiful daughters. We try everyday to live the gospel to it's fullness and have witnessed countless blessings along our way. Upon graduating with a BA in animation, Andrew landed a job in London, Ontario, where we are making a wonderful life for ourselves. I am blessed to be a stay-at-home mommy (I wouldn't have it any other way!) where I watch my three beautiful babies learn and grow (way too fast!). Most of our strength as a family comes from making it a priority to have daily family prayer, family scripture study, FHE (family home evening) and to simply just be together as often as we can! We keep our schedules as free as possible to keep from anything getting in our way of what we feel is most important, being together. 

My greatest blessing is watching my children grow along side us in the gospel. My girls love getting up and going to church to learn about Jesus! Little Kali says most of our family prayers because she loves saying them so much! Austin hit a milestone this year, when he turned 12, by entering into the youth program and receiving the 'Aaronic Priesthood'. Watching as he, so reverently, passes the sacrament is a constant reminder to me that the decision that I made to listen to the spirit that morning and go to church was the best decision that I have ever made. 

Our lives are richly blessed and it is no question as to why that is! Although life isn't perfect, and just like each of you, we have our fair share of struggle (especially with a past like mine!), we are certainly on our way to what, one day, will be a perfect life! The gospel of Jesus Christ has strengthened us tremendously! Without it, I do not know where I would be today, but I have a pretty good idea. Our relationship with our Saviour grows through all of our trials, as we continue to lean on Him. We look to our father in Heaven for every decision that we make. It takes a lot of work and dedication, but in the end, it is what makes us who we are and leads us to where we long to be one day...in the presence of our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, as an eternal family! This is our ultimate goal and we know that by living the gospel of Jesus Christ, we can attain this!

Visit this link to hear an inspirational talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland! 

To find your path to eternal happiness and to learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, visit lds.org or mormon.org or message me and I'll give you whatever information that you are looking for! Remember, as far as you feel that you have strayed, or as dark as your life may seem, there is never anything that you have done that is not worthy of repentance. Heavenly Father is full of mercy and has given us an incredible gift, to help us find our way. The Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrificing atonement is there for us to use in our lives, whenever we need it. Words cannot express the difference the gospel of Jesus Christ has brought into my life! It has brought a whole new meaning of love and encouragement that nobody should have to miss out on! 

Thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

  1. Jara, this brought me to tears...even in those dark periods, you were such a light to others around you. I am so so so happy for you and your family and for the strength you showed in making those difficult choices to make your life what you wanted it to be. Your children will gain so much learning from you and watching your example. I'm so proud of you and love you always!
    Jes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jes! A big part of my success was surrounding myself with good people! You certainly have been a blessing in my life and I will forever be grateful for our friendship! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story Jara. You and your family will be blessed as you continue to follow Jesus Christ. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All our experiences add up to make us who we are. Thanks for sharing some of your experiences and encouraging us to do and be our best. God is always there for us, His love is our guide and safety. You make my world better by being part of it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cassandra and Kathy! I'm so grateful for both of you in my life.

    ReplyDelete