Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow Day...Tricked You!

Today was a great day!

It started off with all of us getting ready for the day, only to discover that it was a snow day, or so we thought. I jumped on Facebook for my quick 5 minute morning review and saw that a friend, who lives nearby, had posted about a snow day. Again?! Without thinking I commented loud enough for the kids to hear that it was ANOTHER snow day. I'm pretty sure Austin was back in his pj's within 30 seconds flat and ready to enjoy another day at home. As if he hasn't had enough time at home this winter. As I checked the school bus website, just to be sure, I discovered that, although many of the bus routes were cancelled, ours wasn't. Oh man! Austin was ready to kill me. I sadly apologized to him and told him to go get ready for school. He was not impressed. Lucky for him, within about 5 minutes, it started blizzarding and Andrew and I decided that they could stay home anyway. I'm so glad that we did because around the time that they would have been walking to the bus stop and boarding (without wearing a seatbelt-I hate that!), it looked like a white-out out there! I felt guilty that they were missing another day of school but so happy that my babies were safe and warm at home with me. 

The girls needed something to do while they were both home for the day so we got started on some cute snowman friends, made out of styrofoam balls and little bits of craft items that I had in my craft bin. They had a blast putting the snowmen friends together and I was happy to be doing something productive with them (considering that doesn't happen very often). 

Here's the finished snowman friends!
Lili's has a hat and Kali wanted hers to have a surfboard so that he could go surfing. Olaf plays in the hot sun, why can't Kali's snowman, right?!

Austin and I listened to a couple John Bytheway talks today. For those of you that aren't familiar with him, he is an LDS motivational speaker that works mainly with the youth of the church. He's hilarious and the kids just love him! At first Austin was irritated that he had to spend his snow day listening to a 'church talk' but it wasn't long before Brother Bytheway (we call each other brother and sister in our church as we are all children of God, therefor we are all brothers and sisters) had Austin in stitches. I highly recommend his talks to anyone. If you want children with high standards and gods morals, John Bytheway is the man and offers excellent talks. It led to a great discussion between Austin and I and I felt blessed to be enjoying this moment with him. 

After lunch (Austin cooked-bonus!) I put Lili down for her nap and Kali was resting with a movie, I decided that I needed a project. I was in the mood! I didn't want to go out in the storm (although I would have if I had to) so I needed something that I could make from what I had on hand. I knew that I had a bunch of unused fabric in the basement and have been wanting to make a rag wreath for a while now so I went with it! With Valentines Day only a week or so away, I decided to use some of my red and white fabric to make myself a Valentines Day wreath. A few hours later, and lots of tearing and cutting fabric into small pieces like so...


 and then tying them onto a coat hanger that I had shaped into a circle like so...



 I had a finished project. It turned out pretty good!


I still had quite a few pieces left so I started a second one, this time with the coat hanger in the shape of a heart. 


I have the round one hanging on the front door,

and the heart one hanging from the chandelier in the eating area.

I have to say that, paired with the red, white and pink flowers that Andrew brought home for me yesterday, it's looking quite like Valentines Day is upon us. 

Even after Andrew had come home around 6pm, I was still feeling quite ambitious (it has definitely been a high day-even I noticed my speed talking) so Andrew and I decided to go on a little date downtown for some famous poutine from Smoke's Poutinery, while Austin made dinner (that's two meals for Austin in one day!) for he and the girls. I had heard that their poutines were really good but had yet to try them so we gave it a try. I got the traditional poutine with jalapeños and sautéed onions (next time I'll do without the onions-yuck),

while Andrew tried out the Philly Cheesesteak,

which I know looks really horrible in this picture but it was really good! I hate when Andrew and I go out to eat and there are so many delicious sounding items to choose from (I LOVE FOOD!!!) and I carefully select mine (and let's be honest here, I usually select his also because I'm stuck between two things so I pressure him into getting the other item that I really want to try) and his ends up being better than mine! That's the worst! Well it happened tonight, but I am happy to report that I didn't complain, nor did I end up pouting until Andrew finally decided to trade with me. I quietly ate my own poutine (okay and maybe took a few [really big] bites of Andrews). Overall, I wouldn't rave about the poutine, nor the setting (I wasn't expecting much-I still had my track pants on), but it was nice to just sneak away from the kids for an hour and enjoy some alone time. Here we are enjoying our poutines and each other.



Isn't he cute?! I love that he makes an effort to look somewhat presentable when we go out. When we first got married, I was lucky if he didn't have the worst case of bed head known to man every time that we walked out the door! He lived in hoodies, jeans and running shoes and only showered on odd days (okay, so I made that last part up-sort of). Six years later (this month), he regularly wears collared shirts and dress shoes and well, the bed head... I guess it's a trade mark because it's still there. But hey, I was wearing track pants so what can I expect? 

It's getting late now but I hate going to bed after a really good, high-energy day. 99.9% of the time I will wake up the next day exhausted and worn out from all my many ambitious adventures the previous day. Thankfully, I seem to be in a better place lately and despite what 'down days' come my way, I can expect them to be better than any 'good day' when I'm in a bad place. That's positive thinking right? 

One more picture of my sweet Austin before I head to bed. He rarely let's me take his picture so I don't have many of him but here's one that exemplifies him perfectly.


Yes, he is just a big goofball! A goofball that makes his whole family laugh, even if we are laughing at him and not with him! I love him! I love all my babies! 

And on that note...

Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment